Sunday, May 29, 2016

Randall Oaks Library - West Dundee, IL


Aiden absolutely loves going to this library! This is one of the few places he’ll actually take it upon himself to ask me to take him to pretty much every week.  And when he asks I always try to comply. His love affair with this library began when we started walking on the track at the Randall Oaks Rec Center.  The library is in the same building, downstairs.  This is a pretty small library, very basic, no huge frills, but it does have a little play area for kids near the kids books section and to Aiden’s delightful surprise there were dinosaurs there.  There’s only a few, probably around 6 or 7, but they’re a good size and they’re not the cheap kind.  I know this because he has some of the same ones at home and I had to buy those online because they’re more collector-ish than toys so they’re not just sitting on the shelves at Walmart.  I was pretty surprised myself that the library had these. Anyway, I got my books and Aiden wanted to play with the dinosaurs so I sat at a table nearby to read. It turned out to be as good an experience for me as it was for him.  He loves dinosaurs and I love books.  I just never seem to have the time to really sit down and enjoy one so he gave me the opportunity to do just that.  After that day he was hooked. UPDATE: This last, most recent, trip we made to this library nearly broke my heart. They made some changes to the kid’s area and the dinosaurs have now gone extinct! Aiden was confused and disappointed but he handled it a whole lot better than I expected.  He played with some of the other toys instead


but really what saved the day was that he went into the actual book section to find his newest addiction, How Do Dinosaurs… books.  I don’t know if he’ll still ask me to take him here now but at least he’s actually interested in some books.



No comments:

Post a Comment