Wednesday, January 6, 2016

NISRA - Northern Illinois Special Recreation Association


NISRA is a part of 13 park districts and municipal recreation departments.  Their programs take place in member district facilities and other public and private recreation sites throughout the area. NISRA’s activities are led by a full-time staff with college degrees in Therapeutic Recreation or related fields, and trained part-time staff and volunteers. NISRA’s mission statement states that their purpose is to enrich the lives of people with disabilities through meaningful recreation experiences.  

I just have to say that I love NISRA! I think I was introduced to NISRA, through Aiden’s school, when he was in 1st grade.  I wish I would’ve learned of it sooner because it really has great programs for kids of all ages, or at least starting at the age of 3 to adulthood.  To me, this place feels like a community college where all the classes they offer are non-credit only, just for fun!  They have a catalogue of classes to choose from with age and ability requirements and prices for residents, non-residents, and transportation if needed.  This was a place I was looking for but didn’t know existed.  Aiden was always working so hard in school and in therapies, I was always trying to find places to go and things to do where he could just have fun.  That’s pretty much why I started this Outings with Autism blog, incase there was another parent out there who was looking to show their child a good time but didn’t know where to go.  NISRA was a really good start for us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment